Monday, February 19, 2007

About me

My name is Connie. I'm 51, divorced, and live alone in a dinky 1 bedroom apartment in Mitchell.

I have 1 son, Casey. He and his wife Kerry live in Portland, Oregon. He got married in 2003. No kids yet. They are just having fun and saving money before they start their family. I don't know how I could have raised such a smart, sensible kid!! And he married someone just like him!! I'm a lucky mom!!

I quit smoking on May 24, 2002. I had smoked every single day for 33 years. I never thought I could do it but my favorite aunt had just gotten diagnosed with COPD and my dad was having lung problems, pneumonia mostly. So I decided I didn't want that to happen to me and went and bought the patches. I used 1 1/2 boxes out of 3 and never had another cigarette. I can't stand the smell now and can't figure out how I could have smelled sooo bad for sooo many years!
My aunt and my dad have both passed away now. My aunt in 2005 from complications from a stroke caused by her COPD and my dad in 2003 from bone cancer that originated in his lungs.

I work for a private, nonprofit organization and we provide services for people with developmental disabilities. I work in a group home with 5 adult men. They range from 21-50 years old. They have brain damage or autism or just mental disabilities. I absolutely think I was made to do this job. I love it and love my guys. I work four, 10 hour overnight shifts a week. The men are up on and off most of the night, some have trouble sleeping. I do lots of cleaning, I get the guys up in the morning, I make them breakfast, I give them their morning medications and I shower and shave 1 of the guys. The people that come and relieve me shower the rest of the guys and get them to the shop in the morning. They all have simple jobs they do such as sorting mail or stuffing envelopes etc., depending on their skill and attention level. They are wonderful people and I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather be doing for a living right now!

Well, that's all I can think of to write right now. More later!

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Connie! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the books you read. :-)
(Literary Feline from Bookloversgroup)