Sunday, November 1, 2009

It's my birthday today!

Whoopee!!...Yeah right, when you get as old as dirt like me you quit getting excited about birthdays!! I'm almost at the mid 50's mark..gasp!!
I got an awesome birthday card from my son so far. I'm going to have to let them know that Grandma's like getting birthday cards from their grandchildren too!!...haha

Speaking of my grandchild..Here are a couple of Clovers 6 month pictures I just got off of the kids blog...Isn't she adorable? Those huge dark eyes and she hasn't lost a bit of her hair. I miss her soooo much! Clover Isobel, born March 14th of this year.


Not too much has been going on this month.

Last night was Halloween and I didn't have any trick or treaters come to my door. I didn't have any candy anyway..I'd be too tempted to eat it!!

I still weigh 161 so at least I'm maintaining my weight.

I'm still not well, but I'm getting there. I'm going to have to have another EGD before the end of the year and we'll see how many after that. The doctor said I could end up having several more to dilate things before I'm better. I do feel better than I did and I have just a little more stamina than I did, but I have NO strength in my legs at all. From losing the weight so fast and being sick most of the time I lost all my muscle tone in them. So my doctor is writing me up a prescription for physical therapy in a pool and for some light exercise equipment like an exercise bike. The local Rec center here said they needed the prescription from him and they'd work out a deal with me. I love the pool and it's excellent exercise to get my strength back!!

I just finished a couple of awesome books...

Silent Night, Haunted Night by Terri Garey is about ghosts and the 3 fates. One of the fates is a succubus. Very good addition to the Nicki Styx series!! Nicki had a problem with her heart in the 1st book, she died for a bit, when she came too, she was able to communicate with ghosts.

On the Edge by Ilona Andrews is a great 1st book in this series...Very different paranormal...Rose Drayton and her 2 younger brothers live in the Edge, between 2 worlds...To one side is the Broken, where all the normal people live..On the other side is the Weird, where all the magical people live. The people that live in the Edge are the only people that can freely travel in both worlds.

I haven't been to the movies for awhile but I am looking forward to seeing New Moon when it comes out later this month!! (The 2nd movie based on Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series)
I had a friend from work gave me 2 huge pheasant breasts a week ago. I put one in the freezer and cooked one..

I've got to tell you how I made it, it was amazing!!...Very simple but sooo flavorful!!

I put 1/2 a can of cream of mushroom soup on the bottom of the crock pot,
I layered the pheasant breast on it, (I took the meat off the bones)
I added water to the can and poured the rest of the soup over the pheasant. (just so it covered all of the bird)
I thought it needed something so I added a bunch of spices I had in my cupboard to it.
Salt
Pepper
Lowrey's season salt (just a little)
Parsley flakes
Paprika
Onion powder
Garlic salt
I cooked it on high for about 4 hours and turned it to low for another 2 hours...YUMMM

I made some mashed potatoes to go with it and instead of adding milk to them I added sour cream, they were sooo good!...
It's about time that I get interested in cooking after 50 years!!...I'm asking for some good cookbooks for Christmas this year. I never really learned how to cook which is bad because my mom is an awesome cook!! My son taught himself how to cook out of necessity and is also an awesome cook!! I was just never interested in learning, now I really want to learn. I'd love it if we'd have some local cooking classes around here but no such luck. I've been alone for many years and just got used to eating out of cans, or boxed stuff or microwaving stuff.

I'm all alone today so I'm treating myself to a good lunch. I'm going to get takeout Chinese...My favorite!! Their sesame chicken is to die for!

That's all the news I have for now...I'll add another post around the 1st of December!!

1 comment:

Olsonmiki said...

Hi, Connie!

What a gorgeous little girl. She must make every day special.

I haven't truly enjoyed cooking till just recently, myself. I started watching cooking shows on our local public television station and that's given me the impetus to learn more. My favorite shows are Jacques Pepin's Fast Food My Way series, and Lidia Bastianich's series about Italy. They both cook simply but well.

As to cookbooks, I'm a huge browser. But if you're looking for light recipes, Jacques Pepin does several light cookbooks. You can probably check them out at the library, to see what you think. Bookstores tend to shelve his books in the French cooking section, but as he says himself, he's lived in the U.S. for forty years, and even his own mother doesn't call his cooking "French."

Lidia's books are terrific, too. There are a couple in particular I want myself, more about how she cooks at home than traditional Italian cuisine.

The reason I like these two, is that they are true teachers, not just chefs. And they connect food with family, love and having a good time.

My latest project is to try an overnight bread that was in Pepin's More Fast Food My Way. You stir up the basic ingredients in a non-stick pan, store it in the fridge overnight, and pop it in the oven for an hour the next day. My kind of baking. : )