Saturday, January 9, 2010

Our White Christmas

We had quite a Christmas here in South Dakota! Starting on Christmas Eve and ending a day or 2 after Christmas we got 20 inches + of snow. The wind was blowing about 30-50 miles per hour so the visibility was nil. All of the interstates were closed in the state and it was very dangerous to be out and about. So lots of people spent the day at home instead of going to their families for Christmas. Me included.

We were snowbound here for 2 days. My streets weren't plowed and people with big trucks were even getting stuck. I kept thinking what happens if someone needs emergency help to get through!!


Here are just a couple of pictures I took on Christmas day.

This is my car in the parking lot right outside my arpartment building door.




This is just a few parking spaces down from my car...HUGE drifts!!

This is the street in front of my Apartment building. The street has totally disappeared under all the snow. Big trucks continually tried to get through the snow and had to dig themselves out!!

Then just when we were starting to recover from that blizzard, here came another one on the 6th of January!!

I don't know exactly how much snow we got with this one, but I know it was more than 6 inches and the wind blew in excess of 30 mph again. I was lucky to get off work early that night. Listening to the radio, it sounded like the whole city was shutting down. It took them about 15 minutes to tell about all the closures that night!

I don't live far from my job but it was treacherous getting home. The streets were like a sheet of ice. I got home and was pulling into my parking space and got stuck tight. I couldn't even move an inch. I'll put a picture. I just left it and the next morning our maintenance man knocked on my door and offered to help me. He pulled me out with a little skid loader and cleaned out my parking space.



This was the morning after I got stuck. It doesn't look bad but I was stuck solid. lol

Ok, enough of that...I didn't do lots of decorating this year. I just put my lighted stuff up in the window and put my little fiber optic tree up....



I love this tree...I take lots of pictures of it.

And the last thing for this entry...A picture of my beautiful grand daughter and my wonderful son!!...She is just a couple of days away from being 10 months old. She's such a giggle box...I think this was taken around Thanksgiving.

Well, that's it for this time. I'll try to post again soon!!!




No comments: